Friday, December 24, 2010

My bath FINALLY gets some towel storage!




































Ok, so we've been in this house for 4 years now.  I've always wanted  to store some towels in my bath (imagine that), but the only available wall was only 14" wide and had weird angles.  So last night I was browsing my favorite website: http://www.ana-white.com/ and there it was - the answer to my prayers - the high rise shelf!  Ana never fails to provide the most amazing plans for building your own furniture, and this one was no different.  Her plans are easy to understand and simple enough that a complete building virgin can do it!

So without wasting another minute, I ran out to my workshop and got to work.  It didn't matter that it was only 7 am on christmas eve and I was still in my pj's.  Kids - get your own breakfast today - mommy's on a mission. Hey- I'd already waited 4 years for this and I wasn't going to wait any longer.  The towels had suffered long enough!

As I tore threw my scrap wood pile, I was disappointed that I could only find some 1 x 6's.  Well, that's not what Ana's plan called for :(  However, I was determined to make this work and the best part about building it yourself is that you can make it any way you want!  So that's exactly what I did!

I used a 1 x 6 about 4 foot long for the back and cut the shelves out of the same 1 x 6 about 12" long.  Just filled in the gaps with the remaining boards and voila - a long awaited towel tower is born!  I painted it a light gray (to match my floor), dry brushed some white over that and distressed it a bit with my sander.  I also touched up the raw wood that I exposed during the distressing with a dark stain.  This instantly makes brand new wood look nice and old! 

2 comments: